Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Sweet Country!

Candy AND democracy - does this country rock or what!??! Where else in the world do adults give away candy to kids who simply knock on their door and say three magic words? The whole stranger-danger thing is thrown out the window for one night as your parents take you to random homes and encourage you to eat candy from people you don't know - it's awesome.
 
Ridiculous attire is a definite requirement; the more ridiculous, the larger the loot. My parents must have received this memo because they dressed me up as a 2 1/2 foot tall golfer - which is apparently very funny. The polyester knickers and argyle sweater vest kept me warm. The goofy hat didn't do much for warmth, but topped off the costume nicely. I also had a set of clubs that were a bit tough to carry. Luckily my parents came as my caddies and carried them for me (along with my scorecard, extra balls, and tees).

We had more than 400 trick-or-treaters at our house again. Luckily we also had lots of fabulous friends to help pass out the 80+ bags of candy - it was crazy. We had a graveyard with two smoke machines, six carved jack-o-lanterns, and a giant cut-out for kids to stick their faces in for photos. My favorite part was the smoke machines. If I sat in front of them long enough, the smoke would completely cover me and you couldn't see me, cool, huh.

Then today we headed to the polls to cast our vote. My parents' polling place is down the street so we walked over and saw lots of neighbors along the way. Listening to my parents, I understand that the candidate with the most votes wins. His/her prize is a job where lots of people call/write complaining about all of the things they don't like. Hmm, while I'm not quite one years old, this sounds like an odd "prize."

Anyway, the part I do like is that each one of us gets to vote for the person we like and agree with. While they didn't let me "pull the lever" today, they did give me a "future voter" sticker. Apparently you're suppose to be able to say your name and address before they trust you with picking the leaders of our country - I guess that's fair. One thing is for sure - this is one sweet country!

1 comment:

  1. Bodie wins for the best costume of Halloween 2010!!! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!