Monday, May 5, 2014

To Crawl or Not to Crawl

To crawl or not to crawl, that is the question everyone is asking about my brother Gates these days. I can tell you for sure, the current answer is not to crawl and boy does it make him mad. I'm no physics major (yet), but let's just start with the obvious...29"long, 23lbs in weight, and a 98% head size - this is not an easy object to move. How would I know you ask? Well, because occasionally I grab him under the arms and drag him to different rooms in the house; it's like moving a small country. So I have great sympathy for him trying to move himself - it's tough.

Everyone who sees his effort says, "Oh look at him, he'll crawl any day now!" For the record, people have been saying this for about 3 months. I'm beginning to think "any day" means Christmas.

Here are some of his favorite faux crawl positions...

The grab and pull up 

The rock back and forth
 
 The imitate

And my favorite... The plank (he can do this for over a minute!)
 
Not crawling isn't a bad thing EXCEPT he really, really wants to. He's mastered what my mom calls the sit-and-spin. He's sits in one location and does complete 360 degree spins in a desperate attempt to move forward. He often looks confused after several spins. Sometimes he pushes himself at rapid speed...backwards. THIS is one of the saddest things to watch. He can be only a few inches from an object at the beginning, start pushing, and then end up 8-10 feet from it; all the while getting more and more mad.
 
Not to worry Gater, you'll eventually get it. But in the meantime, thanks for being so entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!