Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Sea, the Great Outdoors, & Big Head

Two weekends ago I sailed the wide open sea. Okay, actually I went canoeing on the Potomac, but to a kid who's 3 feet tall, it might as well have been the ocean! Our awesome neighbor Alan is a life-long canoer and he and another neighbor (Andrew) invited me and my dad to join them for a paddle. So we strapped on our life jackets and faced the danger.

The water was a bit low so it was running fast and included what I call "the extra scary part" of bumpy rocks. The day was a little overcast so there wasn't a sound on the river - total peace and quiet. Lucky for Alan, Andrew, and my dad they brought me to fill that void with non-stop chatter. I was so excited I talked THE ENTIRE car ride there, THE ENTIRE canoe trip, and THE ENTIRE drive home. I heard the adults say something about being exhausted and that it was okay to nap, but who naps at a time like that?!??! Summary...it was awesome.

Then Friday night my dad and I went on the annual church Father/Son Campout with a few hundred other crazy dads and sons. My mom and I reminded my dad that he had two sons he should take camping. Apparently if you're still drinking from a bottle you're in an "other" category and don't get to go. Sorry Gates, next year! (Hey mom, dad said, "nice try.")

We roasted marshmallows and ate s'mores. I got to play in the dark with a bunch of my buddies and shine my flashlight into everyone's eyes. Then we headed to bed where I promptly passed out from a fun overload.

As for Big Head, I'm referring to my little brother Gates. He is DEFINITELY related to me because he is officially a member of the "big head club." He had his two month doctors appointment and measured in the 50% height, 80% weight (14lbs), and 99% head! I had a 99% head for my first two years of life (and they they no longer measure your head). Luckily big heads photograph well. I'll need to show him a few of my tricks for not always tipping over, or if you do, doing it with style.










1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that Aaron's win of the youngest son at Fathe'rs and Son's still stands. Bottle Smottle....

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!