Friday, April 23, 2010

Me and My Shadow

I finally have a son that I can call my own. He is a funny, extroverted, positive little guy - very much like his mother - but I too can take credit for his smile, calm disposition, his meaty thighs and full head of hair. I often joke with Lisa that he is all me. From his little, flat stubby feet to his love of water, bath time and a regular afternoon nap - I see so many similarities.

While I am enjoying our guy time together playing and doing things that a 5 month old does with his Dad, I am most excited about seeing him take his first step, hitting his first home run and racing him down a double black diamond in Colorado or Utah - though he better not beat me down the mountain on his first try.

And don't worry, I'll be patient with our son and let him develop other interests and hobbies - but I can just tell (can't you?) he wants to get outside and experience the thrill of competition and the excitement of being part of a sports team. Competition has caused me to work harder, seek higher achievements, evaluate myself with rigor and it often drives me to do my best. I want nothing less for my son, my shadow.

Do you have a sports story to share about your kid(s)? What was his/her first sports equipment purchase and at what age? When did you realize your son or daughter was a faster or a better athlete than you?

2 comments:

  1. Geez, little Bo's in for a great life with his daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! How sweet is that? Can't wait to play a game of tee-ball with you.

    Aaron went on his first camping trip at 5 months. He won first prize at the fathers and sons camp weekend for being the youngest son there. I believe the record still stands. :-)

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!