Friday, April 27, 2012

Monkeys, Iguanas, and Sloths - OH MY!

"Rich coast," that sure is an accurate description of the country of Costa Rica. We spent the week exploring rainforests, hiking volcanoes, and seeing lots of creatures. It's definitely a beautiful place and we had a great trip. Here are some highlights....

We hiked down to a huge waterfall. The sign at the entrance said, "DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS HIKE if you have any health issues, especially heart problems." I ran right by it and hiked down 486 steps - yep, me an my mini legs just chugged right to the bottom. My hand turned white a few times because my mom was holding it so tightly - maybe she thought I'd fall off of the cliff. On the way up, I hitched a ride with my dad in the backpack. My dad - carrying me - passed every other hiker on the trail. He's a stud.

We hiked the rainforest in the nighttime. The sounds were really cool but not knowing if creepy things were crawling right by you was a little unnerving. We saw several two-toed sloths, agutis (raccoon-sized rat-looking mammals), a huge yellow tarantula, and white faced monkeys.

We hiked a cloud forest in the day and saw holler monkeys, toucans, bell birds, a million millipedes, and quatis (another type of mammal).

We took a sky tram to the very top of the rainforest and walked over suspension bridges. As I ran at full speed across the swaying bridges, 300-500 feet in length, suspended several hundred feet in the air, I heard my dad say something about me aging him that day. (Note - not many pictures from the bridges b/c they were chasing me). My dad did not find this fun.

We road horses through the rainforest (do you see a rainforest theme here). We saw more cool creatures Okay, so one of us might have fallen asleep on the horse - but sheesh, wouldn't you after all of the adventuring. My mom said this activity aged her - apparently holding dead weight while riding a horse on steep terrain isn't as easy as it looks. (Aren't vacations suppose to be relaxing!??! Relax mom and dad, we all made it home alive!)

Our lodging near the volcano had an outdoor bathtub on our patio so me and my duck got to bath in the jungle with a view of the volcano - not bad, huh!

And no trip would be complete with out a few jumpers...
 









 Our favorite family picture from the trip....

1 comment:

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!