Saturday, February 5, 2011

Bob & Edith

If you've lived in the DC area, you've probably been to Bob & Edith's diner on Columbia Pike in south Arlington. It's a comfortable dive with average food and really great people. It's been on the Pike since 1969 (that's a lot of pancakes). It became a weekend treat to pop by for brunch when I was living just a few blocks away. Then I moved a mile further down the road, but still made a point to stop in for a flat mushroom omelet with a slice of melted American cheese and tomato on the side (it sounds about how it tastes).
When Dave and I began dating, he'd pick me up really early on an occasional weekday and we'd stop at Bob & Edith's for breakfast before work - which was oddly romantic and something I grew to look forward to. The place has lots of happy memories for me - visits with my parents always include a trip to the diner.

This weekend we took Bodie for his first Bob & Edith's experience. They can't really accommodate babies, but are equipped enough to toss you an old-school plastic booster seat as you walk in the door holding a miniature. Bodie loved the place. He ate his egg and toast like he was a regular. The waiter made faces with Bodie then stopped by again with 10, yes 10 napkins - was he trying to tell us something?

I doubt Bob & Edith's diner will ever win any awards for its food, but regardless of where I live, the names Bob & Edith will always bring a smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!