Sunday, August 21, 2011

Reuniting with the West

Ahhhh California, I love you. We spent last week in northern California. Our trip began in San Francisco, then north to Marin and Sonoma, then nearly a week in Tahoe, and ended with a night in Reno, Nevada.

We hopped off the airplane and went straight to Fisherman's warf for dinner. What trip to the bay area is complete without a little clam chowder in a bread bowl!?! We walked around the warf for a bit then headed to Sonoma to stay the night at Carol and King's house.

The next morning it was off to the park to see my buddy Dylan and his mom Tracie. This park was incredible - a sprayground, swings, duck pond, slides, animal farm, pony rides, a merry-go-round, and a train!

We did it all. I enjoyed the animal farm a lot - though I'm not sure the feeling from the animals was mutual, (just because I liked to touch their eyes and pull their furr/feathers - geez!)

That night I headed to the home of some family friends, the Stickles, while my folks headed to my mom's 20 year high school reunion. That sounds old - I'm sure it must be a typo.

If you knew/know my mom's high school class, she says nothing has changed - still great friends and great fun. Their class theme was "Out of Control,"and well, I guess it's no surprise that her home town businesses still remember them. In fact, my mom said the local paper wrote an article about "the notorious class of 1991" coming back in to town for the reunion and said local bars are already stocking up and offering lots of specials for the crowd. The only bars I know are at my tumbling class - so I guess her former classmates must be really good gymnasts!

From Marin we headed north to Tahoe with a stop off at UC Davis - my mom's college. Don't tell my dad, but I think she's trying to give me the California college bug...and it's working! We also stopped at the best burger place on the planet, In-n-Out burger, for the traditional burger, fries, and shakes - yum!

Tahoe greeted us with perfect weather, cool in the morning/evening and warm during the day. We took the tram to the top of Heavenly ski resort and hiked....

We played miniature golf - I didn't understand the gigantic snake covering the hole. Isn't the point to get the ball IN the hole?
We rented a tandem bike and trailer and spent the whole day biking around the lake. We even found a hidden lake called Fallen Leaf Lake - so cool!


But more than anything, we just played and played and played at the beach!
And check out this cool picture. My mom took it in the backyard of the cabin we stayed at - pretty neat, huh!

1 comment:

We LOVE getting comments, so start posting!